Monday, February 16, 2009

Learning to use Blogger


I am really looking forward to using Blogger with my students. My primary problem, however, is confidentiality. I work with SED students in a self-contained classroom setting at Woodside High School. Confidentiality is a big issue. We don't even use students' names when we communicate through e-mails. We use students' numbers. At the same time, I have an unusually bright, computer literate group of students. I believe they could probably teach me some things about these writing tools. Perhaps I could have them make up codes names rather than using their own names. I certainly would like to find a way around this so that we could share Blogger with the students' parent. There are so many things we could do. Students could do group projects together like documenting a recent ecosystem project they did. We could share writing assignments or do our daily science puzzle on the Blogger. We could have a running discussion on a topic of choice. I would really like to find a way to implement this process so that we could keep parents more informed about what the students are doing in the classroom. For me, this information is definitely a work in progress.

2 comments:

  1. Patricia:

    I believe that Blogger has an option where the blog can be "private" or open to a limited number of audience. I hope this helps with the confidentiality issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first used Blogger in the classroom, I was very clear that students could not mention their last name, phone number, address, or other personal information. I explained that the information is open for anyone using the internet to see so personal info should not be posted.
    Later, students who did not follow the directions had to delete or edit their post or url address in a way that would meet the no-personal-information requirement.
    Once the students were clear that personal information could not appear on the blogs or url, everything went fine. It has been a great activity and the kids really look forward to blogging.

    ReplyDelete